For some, being a parent comes naturally. In fact, many first-time mothers have no problem dealing with their newborns, and young children. From the time the child is born, through breastfeeding to interpreting their cries, these parents just seem to do the right thing at the right time. This is Raising Children with Common Sense Parenting confidently and smoothly.
However, many parents, in fact most, do struggle in raising children. This does not mean that they are bad parents. It means that they need to hone the skills they already possess and build some new skills as well. The truth be told, no one is born with the ability to parent perfectly, not even close. We all struggle in one area or another. Parents can always benefit from becoming increasingly informed about some of the most effective parenting techniques. In order to become more effective parents, start with what you know then keep adding to your arsenal of understanding.
Raising Children with Common Sense Parenting
One particular system or method that experts know to be quite effective in raising children is to rely on the common sense parenting method. Common Sense Parenting or CSP is a practical parenting process that is based on everyday skills, and applying those skills naturally to different situations. Sometimes it is easy to become aware of the natural ‘next right step,’ sometimes it takes a little hunting.
There is a natural relationship between an observed result and the causative action for that result. An example is a child spilling a water vase and flowers from roughhousing in the kitchen. The natural ‘next right step’ is to clean up the mess. The ‘next right step’ in parenting for this situation is to take the time to teach. Therefore, the consequence is for the child is also a common sense approach to taking advantage of a ‘teachable moment’ to teach a life skill. In this case, the life skill is personal responsibility for actions (wiping u p the water on the floor) and personal responsibility towards the family environment (learning automatically to clean up after oneself).
Common sense parenting includes logical strategies as well as easy-to-learn techniques that address issues on discipline, communication, decision-making, self-control, family relationships, and education.
Some of the goals that this method suggests would include:
(1) Developing a conceptual framework to understand behavior from a family or relationship point of view, i.e. nothing happens in a vacuum, or changes in a vacuum; everything is in relationship to the people, situation, and the surroundings.
(2) Developing an understanding of the learned parental responses that negatively impact the behavior of children, e.g. yelling, using profanity, or using name calling, when a child disobeys
(3) Developing practical or “common sense” responses for your children’s behavior, i.e. Understanding that parenting is a series on teaching moments for safety, life skills, education, and social skills to thrive in today’s world
(4) Developing naturally practical behavioral tools that are effective and efficient in parenting children, e.g. learning to explain and describe actions and items in words that are understood by the children.
(5) Developing skills to encourage and reward appropriate behavior, e.g. Renting a video game on the weekend requires that assigned activities of involvement in the family household have been completed in a timely fashion, such as emptying out the dishwasher.
(6) Using a positive approach to negative or unwanted behaviors, i.e. demonstrate and explain a better way to carry out an action, such as saying, “please” instead of yelling for more juice.
(7) Incorporating a lesson with each incident of unwanted behavior will in effect help to change old parental response patterns that have been largely unsuccessful or minimally successful, while teaching a life skills that may eventually last a lifetime.
Through using the common sense parenting method, a parent can easily become a more effective and less stressed parent. We all love our children, but we do not always demonstrate that love in a positive or productive manner. As a parent follows their own family goals, involving the children in the process creates a smoother path to success.
Common sense parenting is familiar to schools, communities, and organizations. It can be a stress-relieving factor in helping parents develops the skills needed to improve the behavior of their children. Continue researching to improve your parenting skills. Raising Children with Common Sense Parenting may be the right parenting method for you and your family.
Life is full of challenges, and parenting is a big one; you have heard that before. It is the most important challenge we face; a whole other generation is building on the decisions we make as parents today. Understand that, without a doubt, you will affect generations to come with the decisions you make today! You are the best judge of your needs. Identify your family goals and teach by example.
There have been times that we parents have all experienced the frustrating behaviors of our children. Don’t let this frustration cause you to lose sight of your personal goals for your family. Create your own goals for Raising Children with Common Sense Parenting. There is value to increasing and improving our parenting skill and getting new ideas for your discipline arsenal.
Get new ideas; learn how to be the successful parent that I know you are with current and interesting news about Parenting at Parenting 101 Success
Do You have an opinion? Please leave your questions, and comments below, or send an email to… email@example.com
Remember to ‘LIKE’ and ‘SHARE’ this post!